« Ome Daruma Doll Market(青梅だるま市) » was held at Ome(青梅) in Japan on the 12th of January, 2014. According to the official site, the origin of this market is still unknown . It is said that it was in 1596 or 1441. In either case, this market has histories dating back more than 400 years.
In former days, silk farming was a main industry in Ome.
Skewered « Mayu-Dama(まゆ玉)/Rice Dumpling like silkworm » through a bamboo branch was on the market to make a wish for its prosperity.
Daruma came on the market as a lucky charm around 180 years ago.
After the WWII, sericultural industry fell into decline due to the fact that artificial fiber came to the forefront. Mayu-Dama went away from the market in the mid 1950s. Instead, this market set off on every 12th of January under the name of « Ome Daruma Doll Market« .
Not only local people but people from a long distance come to this market to get Daruma as a lucky charm.
« Tama-Daruma(多摩だるま) » is a local specialty in Ome.
Here are some features of Tama-Daruma which I pick up on the explanation board.
- A face is painted in white, while its face of « Takasaki-Daruma(高崎だるま) » is painted in skin color.
- Eyebrows and beards are depicted simply which makes Tama-Daruma amiable, while eyebrows and hairs of Takasaki-Daruma are wiry and looks stern. Eyebrows and beards of « Saitama-Daruma(埼玉だるま) » are depicted neatly.
In that point, Tama-Daruma has a certain rustic charm.
- Tama-Daruma has bags around its eyes to put on an accent around eyes in white face.
- Tama-Daruma wears gold leaf around eyes. Tama-Daruma is blindfolded on the market. These ideas are developed to make Daruma bright, even though Darama has no eyes.
- Some Tama-Daruma wear human’s beards.
Every 12th on January
1:00PM – 7:00PM
Ome City Hall to Sumie Cho Crossroad.